The Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend awarded $172,920 in grants from the St. Mary's Heritage Fund to various organizations throughout the diocese, including parishes, schools and agencies.
The $3-million St. Mary's Heritage endowment fund was established in 1997 using money received from insurance coverage after a Sept. 2, 1993, fire destroyed St. Mary church and its soup kitchen.
The St. Mary's Heritage Fund since has awarded annual grants totaling $3,577,032.88 thus far from interest gained on the fund's principal, a diocesan news release said.
The 29 grants approved this year by Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades included the following in the Fort Wayne area:
• St. Joseph, Fort Wayne — $7,500 to subsidize children attending school
• St. Mary, Fort Wayne — $3,000 for Emergency Assistance Fund for Ave Maria House
• Bishop Luers High School — $25,000 for tuition assistance
• Queen of Angels — $5,000 for financial aid to families in need
• St. John — $7,500 to increase number of students able to afford a Catholic education
• St. Joseph-Hessen Cassel — $2,000 for tuition assistance
• St. Therese — $7,500 for financial assistance to families in need
• Catholic Charities — $13,000 to help alleviate hunger and food insecurity in the community by providing food assistance to those in need
• Clinica Madre de Dios — $3,500 for diabetic medication and supplies for low-income, uninsured people
• Clinica Madre de Dios — $3,000 for lab tests, clinic supplies and equipment for the walk-in clinic
• Matthew 25 Health and Dental Clinic — $4,000 for medications for Burmese patients
• The Rose Home — $4,920 to assist women with first two weeks expenses when entering Rose Home
• Vincent Village — $2,000 to send 10 homeless children to one-week overnight camp or day care
• Vincent Village — $8,000 to provide supervised tutoring, educational and recreational activities for homeless children living in Vincent House or Vincent Village
• St. Martin Healthcare, Garrett — $5,000 to improve health and well being of patients, dental services, prescribed medications and vision services