FORT WAYNE — Authorities have identified the man who died in a house fire Monday.
John L. Shirey, 84, died from thermal burns and smoke inhalation, the Allen County Coronerís Office said.
The coronerís office said his death was an accident.
Fort Wayne firefighters responded to the fire at 744 W. DeWald St. at 5:32 a.m. Monday and found heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the structure.
The first crews that arrived entered the home and found the man on the first floor. Shirey was pulled from the home and later pronounced dead.
There was no one else inside the home at the time of the fire, which is believed to have started in the kitchen area and extended to the second floor. The investigation into what started the blaze continues by firefighters and the coronerís office.