Last updated: Sat. Aug. 04, 2012 - 06:12 am EDT
A grease fire in the kitchen damaged an Eden Street apartment late Friday, Fort Wayne firefighters said early today. No one was hurt.
Firefighters were called to 2151 Eden St. about 10:15 p.m. on a report of an apartment fire, and found heavy smoke coming from a first-floor apartment in the two-story building, the Fort Wayne Fire Department said in a statement.
The fire was found in the kitchen and quickly put out, the statement said.
It said the occupant told firefighters she had grease on the stove and left the apartment to go next door, forgetting about the grease and returning to find her kitchen on fire.
Everyone in the apartment complex evacuated themselves, the statement said. It said the apartment sustained heavy smoke damage and moderate fire and water damage.