FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 - 12:47 am EDT

North-end Marriott electrical fire relocates guests

MORE ARTICLES

FORT WAYNE — A hotel fire on Fort Wayne’s north side late Monday is believed to have been started by an electrical problem in an empty guest room, officials said.

Fort Wayne firefighters responded to an alarm at the Fort Wayne Marriott Hotel, 305 E. Washington Center Road, just after 11:30 p.m. Monday.

The blaze began in a heating unit in a room on the second floor of the hotel’s west wing, according to a report from the Fort Wayne Fire Department. Crews arrived and discovered heavy smoke, but the the building’s sprinkler system extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported.

An unknown number of guests from 14 rooms waited in the hotel’s lobby for a short time while fire crews checked the area, Marriott’s general manager David Kidd said. After the area had been cleared, guests were relocated to another section of the building, he said.

“No one was evacuated outside,” Kidd said. “Everyone was waiting in the lobby.”

Firefighters determined the fire to be under control by 11:45 p.m.

According to the report, the hotel remained operational Tuesday other than the first and second floors of the west wing, which had “significant smoke and water damage.”

The blaze remains under investigation by the Fort Wayne Fire Department.

jcrothers@jg.net


Sunday
Sunday
High 75 °F
Low 48 °F
63 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
THIS WEEKS DEAL
Weekly Deal
Lush Hair Artistry
Half-Off  partial hi-light with Jennifer at Lush Hair Artistry ($90 value)
THIS WEEK ONLY
$45.00
50% off!
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
FeaturedMore
Things To Do

STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 16408.54-16.31
Nasdaq 4095.529.29
S&P 500 1864.85+2.54
AEP 51.73-0.77
Comcast 49.10-0.07
GE 26.56+0.44
ITT Exelis 18.78+0.18
LNC 48.07+0.44
Navistar 34.00-0.79
Raytheon 100.13+1.10
SDI 18.00-0.90
Verizon 47.60+0.50
  Stock Sponsor