FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Last updated: Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 - 10:50 am EDT

Fatal fire ‘accidental,’ officials say

MORE ARTICLES

Foul play has been ruled out in the death of an 81-year-old Angola man who died Monday as the result of a house fire in Angola.

Preliminary results indicate that Herbert P. Sanders died of smoke inhalation, according to a statement issued Wednesday by the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department.

It said the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office preliminary investigation indicates  the fire was “accidental in nature.”

Police officers were first to arrive at the house at 809 Growth Parkway, and they could see heavy flames on the first floor, according to information released earlier by the Angola Fire Department.

After learning that someone was inside, the officers tried to make a rescue, but the heat and smoke thwarted them.

Firefighters were dispatched to the house at 3:12 p.m. and arrived six minutes later. They entered the house and brought Sanders out, according to an earlier story on The Journal Gazette's website.

With help from Fremont fire crews, the Angola Fire Department had the blaze under control by 3:27 p.m. The fire was contained to the living room and kitchen.


Wednesday
Wednesday
High 58 °F
Low 30 °F
34 °F
Fair
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
THIS WEEKS DEAL
Weekly Deal
Chop Shop Full Service Hair Repair
 Mini Facial and 30 minute Relaxation Massage 
 Mani Pedi combo 
THIS WEEK ONLY
$25.00
55% off!
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
FeaturedMore
Things To Do

STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 16514.3765.12
Nasdaq 4161.460.00
S&P 500 1879.55+7.66
AEP 51.67+0.02
Comcast 50.83+0.95
GE 26.58-0.01
ITT Exelis 18.79+0.04
LNC 48.50+0.63
Navistar 35.06+0.58
Raytheon 99.50-1.97
SDI 18.19-0.04
Verizon 47.92-0.06
  Stock Sponsor