FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 - 12:05 am EDT

Man rescued from apartment fire

MORE ARTICLES

Firefighters rescued an unconscious man from a burning apartment early Monday in south Fort Wayne, according to the city fire department.

The 48-year-old man, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, was taken to a hospital in serious condition. He is expected to survive, Assistant Chief Michael Miller said.

Fire crews were dispatched at 12:16 a.m. to the two-story, four-unit building at 1006 Lincoln Ave., just east of Broadway, and they arrived four minutes later, the department said.

Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the rear of the first floor, and two residents and three pets had already evacuated the building, Miller said.

Firefighters searched the building and found the remaining man unconscious in his apartment near a door to the outside, Miller said. The manís name was not released.

Miller said food left unattended on the manís stove started the fire that heavily damaged his apartment. Firefighters had the blaze under control shortly before 1 a.m., the department said.


Sunday
Sunday
High 75 °F
Low 37 °F
35 °F
A Few Clouds
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
THIS WEEKS DEAL
Weekly Deal
Lush Hair Artistry
Half-Off  partial hi-light with Jennifer at Lush Hair Artistry ($90 value)
THIS WEEK ONLY
$45.00
50% off!
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
FeaturedMore
Things To Do

STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 16408.54-16.31
Nasdaq 4095.529.29
S&P 500 1864.85+2.54
AEP 51.73-0.77
Comcast 49.10-0.07
GE 26.56+0.44
ITT Exelis 18.78+0.18
LNC 48.07+0.44
Navistar 34.00-0.79
Raytheon 100.13+1.10
SDI 18.00-0.90
Verizon 47.60+0.50
  Stock Sponsor