FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Last updated: Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 - 06:30 am EDT

Stay safe in single-digit temps

DISCUSS
Comments
 

With low temperatures expected to be 4 degrees Monday night and 5 degrees Tuesday night, the Fort Wayne Fire Department offers the following safety tips:

Protect yourself

• Dress in several layers of lightweight clothing, which will keep you warmer than a single heavy coat.

• Mittens provide more warmth to your hands than gloves.

• Wear a hat, preferably one that covers your ears.

• Wear waterproof, insulated boots to keep your feet warm and dry and to maintain your footing in ice and snow.

• If working outside, take frequent breaks and stay hydrated.

Protect yourself at home

• Be careful with candles – do not use candles for lighting if the power goes out. Use flashlights only.

• Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside your home, including the basement garage or porch. Run the generator as far away from the house as possible and point the exhaust away from open doors and windows to avoid potential carbon monoxide poisoning.

• Install and/or check carbon monoxide detectors.

• Prevent frozen pipes - when the weather is very cold outside, open cabinet doors to let warm air circulate around water pipes. Let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.

• Never attempt to thaw pipes using a blow torch or any open flame device. Use warm water or a UL-listed device such as a hand-held hair dryer.

• Keep the thermostat set to a consistent temperature.

• Check smoke alarms once a month by pressing the test button and replace batteries as necessary.

• Don't forget your pets. If you can't bring them inside, provide adequate shelter to keep them warm and make sure they can get to unfrozen water.

• If you plan on using an alternate heating source, never use a stove or oven to heat your home.

• Keep a glass or metal fire screen around the fireplace and never leave a fireplace fire unattended.

• If using a space heater, follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to safely use the heater. Place it on a level, hard, nonflammable surface. Turn the space heater off when you leave the room or go to sleep. Keep children and pets away from your space heater and do not use it to dry wet clothing.


Comments
 
Thursday
Thursday
High 51 °F
Low 39 °F
48 °F
Overcast
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 17195.42221.11
Nasdaq 4566.1416.91
S&P 500 1994.65+12.35
AEP 58.27+1.51
Comcast 54.35-0.55
GE 25.67+0.01
ITT Exelis 17.12-0.13
LNC 52.90+0.58
Navistar 34.86+0.28
Raytheon 103.20+1.54
SDI 22.56-0.06
Verizon 49.90+0.07
  Stock Sponsor