FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 - 12:01 am EDT

Disney working on stand-alone 'Star Wars' films

PHOTOS
 
Click on image to view.
DISCUSS
Comments
 

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.

"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.

Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."

Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.

Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.

The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.

___

Online:


Comments
 
Sunday
Sunday
High 28 °F
Low 15 °F
17 °F
Light Snow Fog/Mist
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 18132.70-81.72
Nasdaq 4963.53-24.36
S&P 500 2104.50-6.24
AEP 57.58+0.17
Comcast 59.38+0.23
GE 25.99+0.10
ITT Exelis 24.20-0.08
LNC 57.64-0.47
Navistar 29.11-0.85
Raytheon 108.77+0.17
SDI 18.22-0.38
Verizon 49.45+0.08
  Stock Sponsor