Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 - 12:01 am EDT

Letter to the editor: Court can separate parents from children


“If the wheel isn’t squeaking or there aren’t pitchforks in hands why change it” you might say. The process of bringing to attention some basics in life is easier said than done in the Allen County Family Courthouse.

One basic is the right for a child to see a parent. Through a legal process of “withholding,” a parent can keep a child of any minor age away from another parent for no reason whatsoever for any period of time.

The caveat? As the parent separated from your child, you must wait months and months for a hearing. Through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and library visits, music classes and more.

If you can show evidence of abuse or neglect, or you are a court-appointed representative, you can get an emergency hearing, but separating a child from a parent isn’t considered abuse or neglect in Allen County.

I ask you to consider your Allen County courts today and know there are many parents without any access to a child because of scheduling.

Brian Thornton

High 28 °F
Low 17 °F
21 °F
Partly Cloudy
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search
Dow 18248.10115.40
Nasdaq 5000.0636.54
S&P 500 2113.99+9.49
AEP 56.09-1.49
Comcast 59.8017+0.4217
GE 25.9553-0.0347
ITT Exelis 24.30+0.10
LNC 58.47+0.83
Navistar 28.91-0.20
Raytheon 110.70+1.93
SDI 18.10-0.12
Verizon 49.17-0.28
  Stock Sponsor