Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Fri. Feb. 08, 2013 - 12:01 am EDT

Letter to the editor: Court can separate parents from children


“If the wheel isn’t squeaking or there aren’t pitchforks in hands why change it” you might say. The process of bringing to attention some basics in life is easier said than done in the Allen County Family Courthouse.

One basic is the right for a child to see a parent. Through a legal process of “withholding,” a parent can keep a child of any minor age away from another parent for no reason whatsoever for any period of time.

The caveat? As the parent separated from your child, you must wait months and months for a hearing. Through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and library visits, music classes and more.

If you can show evidence of abuse or neglect, or you are a court-appointed representative, you can get an emergency hearing, but separating a child from a parent isn’t considered abuse or neglect in Allen County.

I ask you to consider your Allen County courts today and know there are many parents without any access to a child because of scheduling.

Brian Thornton

High 54 °F
Low 35 °F
52 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search
Dow 17891.36-84.95
Nasdaq 4926.47-20.97
S&P 500 2078.48-7.76
AEP 56.41-0.17
Comcast 56.58-0.03
GE 24.9159-0.2041
ITT Exelis 24.40+0.13
LNC 57.52-0.02
Navistar 29.53+0.36
Raytheon 110.22-0.77
SDI 20.04-0.18
Verizon 48.78-0.34
  Stock Sponsor