Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Last updated: Thu. Feb. 28, 2013 - 08:38 am EDT

60 years in ambush on ambulance

30 bullets hit 2 vehicles in street chase after bar fight

Click on image to view.

FORT WAYNE — There was no apology Wednesday for the victim that 24-year-old Traneilous L. Jackson was trying to kill when he and Dontay Martin strafed an ambulance with bullets last September.

The ambulance crew, the “females” in the trailing car, Jackson’s family and his son – they all received an apology. But for Jermaine Loyall – stabbed at a nightclub and then shot at while being taken to the hospital in that ambulance – not a word.

Jackson pleaded guilty in late January to four charges of attempted murder, two counts of criminal recklessness and one count of battery by means of a deadly weapon. On Wednesday, Allen Superior Judge John Surbeck sentenced Jackson to the agreed-upon 60 years in prison.

Jackson admitted to sitting in the front passenger seat of a Ford driven by Alphonso Chapell and firing a 9 mm semi-automatic Ruger at the ambulance. He testified in Martin’s trial that Martin was firing out of the back passenger window, nearly emptying a 9 mm semiautomatic Glock 17 with a 30-round extended magazine in the early morning hours of Sept. 9.

They also fired at a Chevrolet Impala carrying Loyall’s two sisters and a family friend that followed the ambulance after it left Club V at the Piere’s nightclub complex.

More than 30 bullets tore through the ambulance windows and sliced through the car doors, hitting people inside both vehicles.

According to testimony, Jackson thought Loyall had disrespected him and punched him in the face inside the club. In the ensuing melee, Loyall suffered a serious stab wound to the back.

In exchange for the 60-year prison sentence, additional charges of carrying a handgun without a license and criminal gang activity were dismissed, as was a pair of probation violations in two unrelated felony gun cases.

Both Allen County Deputy Prosecutor Jason Custer and Jackson’s defense attorney agreed that Jackson satisfied the terms of his plea agreement, which required his testimony against Martin.

On Feb. 6, an Allen Superior Court jury convicted Martin of all the counts against him, and he could face more than 100 years in prison when he is sentenced next week.

After Jackson was sentenced, his young son piped up from the courtroom.

“Bye, daddy,” he said.

High 78 °F
Low 59 °F
72 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search