A fire attributed to two young boys playing with a lighter was quickly extinguished by Fort Wayne firefighters Tuesday morning before it caused more than minor damage to the boys' home.
The boys, ages 8 and 12, escaped unhurt from the home before firefighters arrived at the home in the 1300 block of High Street.
The Fort Wayne Fire Department reported that fire crews saw flames in a second-story window of the house as soon as they arrived. They went into the house, quickly found the fire in a bedroom on the second floor and put it out. Investigators figured out that the fire started when a bed caught fire while the boys were playing with a lighter. Investigators ruled the fire accidental.
The boys escaped the fire wearing little or nothing, according to scanner traffic, and they had to spend at least half an hour in a fire truck while police and firefighters looked for their mother, who was attending a college class at the time of the fire.