Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Sat. May. 25, 2013 - 12:30 am EDT

Inmate, local motel hit by victim’s suit

Faults inn for hiring violent sex offender, now serving 35 years

Click on image to view.

Nearly two years ago, a convicted rapist attacked a woman near a set of railroad tracks between Fort Wayne and New Haven.

Now the woman is suing him, and the motel where she was staying, which employed him.

Tyrone Henderson, 33, is currently serving a 35-year prison sentence for rape, sexual battery, criminal confinement and robbery.

According to a lawsuit filed this week in Allen Superior Court, Henderson was employed at the Travelers Inn at 4606 Indiana 930 in July 2011 when Angela Buckles was staying at the motel.

The two of them were walking from the motel to a nearby gas station when Henderson attacked Buckles, threatening her life with a screwdriver, according to court documents.

The lawsuit names Henderson, CSP Inc. doing business as the Travelers Inn and Vejay Patel as defendants. Attempts to reach Patel and the Travelers Inn were unsuccessful.

Buckles claims Patel was negligent by employing Henderson, and failing to warn guests that a violent sex offender was staying there. According to court documents, Henderson was also staying at the motel.

The motel is often home to registered sex offenders. According to the Allen County Sheriff’s Department, 19 registered sex offenders currently live in the Travelers Inn.

Henderson’s history with women is particularly violent.

In 1998, Henderson was convicted of forcible sodomy and attempted rape in Missouri. He served nearly 10 years in prison before being released in 2007. A few months after his release on that case, Henderson posed as an employee for a temporary service agency to lure a woman to the business by telling her he had a job for her.

According to court documents, when she arrived at the business, he got in her car and told her to drive to New Haven. Then he claimed to be lost, grabbed her phone under the guise of calling the employment agency and, when she became suspicious and started to turn around, he drew a gun.

During the course of the encounter, Henderson demanded money, inappropriately touched her and then pulled out what appeared to be fake handcuffs and ordered her to handcuff herself to the steering wheel, according to court documents.

The woman realized at one point Henderson did not know where they were, so she drove at high speed toward Grabill, hoping police would pull her over. The woman got away by locking herself in a bathroom at a gas station and calling 911, according to court documents.

The woman in that case sued Henderson, as well as the temporary service agency.

Released on parole in April 2011 on the 2008 case, Henderson committed another rape within four months.

High 89 °F
Low 68 °F
84 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search