If you are not ready for Christmas specials, there is one movie on tonight that will entertain: “Cheaper by the Dozen” airs at 8 on CMT. This is the Steve Martin/Bonnie Hunt version in which Mom writes a book about raising 12 children, while Dad accepts a football coaching job in another state. It was originally released Christmas Day 2003.
This film is a “loose” adaptation of the 1950 film of the same name. Take this short quiz about the films, the stars and the real-life family the movies were based upon (at least the 1950 version).
1. Who wrote the biographical novel “Cheaper by the Dozen,” the book on which the 1950 film was based?
2. Who starred as the parents in the 1950 film?
3. In the 2003 film, what was Kate Baker's maiden name?
4. Tom Baker is offered a football coaching job at his alma mater in his hometown. Name the hometown.
5. The family in the 1950 film also moves — to where?
6. What was the father's profession in the 1950 version?
7. Which actor had an uncredited role as Nora's actor boyfriend in the 2003 film?
8. In real life the second-eldest daughter died at age 5. What was her name and what was her cause of death?
Answers: 1. Frank Bunker Gilbreth (father) and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey (daughter). 2. Clifton Webb and Myrna Loy. 3. Evanston, Ill. 4. Montclair, N.J. 5. He was a pioneer in time and motion studies. 6. Ashton Kutcher. 7. Mary died of diphtheria in 1912.