FortWayne.com
 
  Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 - 12:01 am EDT

COLUMN

Cheap Shots: Super Bowl media dazed and confused

Fake questions aren't far from the real ones

PHOTOS
 
Click on image to view.
MORE INFORMATION

For more sports commentary, follow Reggie Hayes via Twitter at www.twitter.com/reggiehayes1

DISCUSS
Comments
 

The annual Super Bowl Media Day takes place today, and here are some phony questions that won't be as ridiculous as the real ones at this annual farce:

To Richard Sherman: “If you were a superhero, which superhero would you be and could your enemies be considered thugs?”

To Peyton Manning: “If you win the Super Bowl, will you finally be even with Eli in terms of NFL accomplishments?”

To Marshawn Lynch: “Do you prefer regular or sour Skittles and if the endorsement money was enough, would you switch to M&M's?"

Please point them in the right direction

In a survey of 320 NFL players, 85 percent said they would play in the Super Bowl even if they knew they had a concussion. The other 15 percent play for the Jacksonville Jaguars and said the question made no sense whatsoever.

Forecast calls for saturation

Meteorologists say it's likely the outdoor Super Bowl will have temperatures around normal for New Jersey this time of year (somewhere in the 30s) with a chance for snow showers. There is a 100 percent chance for media overkill, however.

Guinness throws cold water on record

The NHL sold 105,491 tickets for the Michigan Stadium outdoor game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings, but it won't be a Guinness record because too many fans arrived long after the game began.

So I guess you could say they staged a hockey game and a Los Angeles Lakers crowd broke out.

Johnny'd be good

A Texas A&M supporter has put up a billboard in Houston suggesting the Texans use their No.1 draft pick on Johnny Manziel to “Keep Johnny football in Texas." If you can afford billboard space, you'd think you could spring for an uppercase F.

Calling the shots on his time

Babe Ruth's 1923 World Series championship pocketwatch will be up for auction next month and is expected to sell for at least $750,000. Young baseball fans are confused over why Ruth needed a pocket watch when smartphones always display the time.

Cubs, Braves or bust!

Greg Maddux has decided not to have a logo on his cap on his Hall of Fame plaque rather than choose between the Chicago Cubs, where he started and ended his career, and the Atlanta Braves, where he had his biggest wins. Unfortunately, attempts to combine the caps into the Chitlanta Brubs were unsuccessful.

rhayes@news-sentinel.com


This column is the commentary of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of The News-Sentinel. Email Reggie Hayes at rhayes@news-sentinel.com.


Comments
 
Saturday
Saturday
High 38 °F
Low 28 °F
33 °F
Light Snow
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
LOCAL BUSINESS SEARCH
Local Search
STOCK SUMMARY
Dow 17390.52195.10
Nasdaq 4630.7464.60
S&P 500 2018.05+23.40
AEP 58.34+0.07
Comcast 55.35+1.00
GE 25.81+0.14
ITT Exelis 17.85+0.73
LNC 54.76+1.86
Navistar 35.37+0.51
Raytheon 103.88+0.68
SDI 23.01+0.45
Verizon 50.25+0.35
  Stock Sponsor