For more on Saint Francis football, follow Justin Kenny on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/jkenny_ns
Wednesday was the biggest recruiting day of the year for Division I FBS programs, but recruiting season is still underway in NAIA.
Saint Francis announced a 25-man class Wednesday, but coach Kevin Donley said he expects that number to continue to grow to close to 40 before recruiting wraps up.
For now, Donley is happy with the group he has that includes just two players so far from out of state, both from Ohio.
“It is a little bit of everything,” Donley said. “It helps us fill some gaps.”
The Cougars landed several recruits from northeast Indiana, including three players from Snider, two from Woodlan and one each from East Noble, Churubusco and New Haven.
Donley grabbed a quarterback from Indianapolis in Nick Ferrer from Westfield, a 6-foot-4 player who should do well as a pocket passer.
“We had to find a quarterback,” Donley said. “We think he is a dandy.”
Among the players from the area, Panthers wideout Andreas Gomez-Espino, lineman Mitchell Boney and outside linebacker Tiberious McGhee all could make instant impacts for Saint Francis.
“Gomez-Espino is going to help out the receiving corps,” Donley said.
Also joining the Cougars from the area are linemen Jacob Summers and DeAndre Woods from Woodlan, lineman Brandon Stone from New Haven and lineman Connor Holcomb from East Noble.
Churubusco running back Cody Conwell will also suit up for the Cougars.
Donley and Saint Francis will look to add about 15 more players to the talent already accumulated.
“We have got to maintain a roster,” he said. “We have a few more (spots) to fill up.”