Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Last updated: Fri. Apr. 18, 2014 - 10:07 am EDT

Son’s frostbite brings mother 4-year sentence

Click on image to view.

That first night, he found himself in a burn-unit bed at St. Joseph Hospital.

Even the heavy medication they pumped into him couldn’t quell the immense pain in his hands and feet.

The 5-year-old boy had fallen into a snowbank in the middle of one of the harshest nights of one of Fort Wayne’s harshest winters.

Temperatures bottomed out at 12 degrees below zero Jan. 9, with the wind chill reported at close to minus 30 degrees.

The boy suffered frostbite to his hands and feet.

Days later, the skin from his hands and feet began to peel and fall away. Then he lost his nails.

His pinkie became infected and swelled to what is still, months later, an abnormal size.

The skin on his hands and feet are no longer his natural color.

He is now terrified of snow.

Back on that January night, while the boy cried and screamed for his mother to come help, she was heard yelling back at him to get up himself.

Now she’s going to prison.

On Thursday, an Allen Superior Court judge ordered 26-year-old Marquisha Whitten to serve four years in prison for neglecting her son.

“He’s a beautiful boy, ma’am, and you don’t deserve him,” Judge Fran Gull told Whitten during her sentencing hearing. “You don’t deserve him.”

Whitten, whose blood-alcohol level was 0.29 percent the night her son was found in the snow, read a statement during the hearing apologizing for what she called a “mistake.”

Allen Superior Court documents lay out what investigators believe led to her son’s injuries.

Whitten had been drinking at an undisclosed home since about 6:30 p.m. that day. About 11:15 p.m., she and her son began walking home to the Eden Green apartment complex in the 1300 block of Greene Street.

Somewhere along the way, Whitten lost her keys, according to the court documents, and began looking around outside for them.

While this happened, her son fell down and could not get back up because of the depth of the snow.

He was in the snow for about 10 minutes, according to court documents.

A woman who was expecting Whitten and her son began looking for them when they did not show up at the apartment and found them outside.

The boy was taken inside and was found to have frostbite.

Officials immediately placed the boy in the care of a couple who are experienced in taking care of foster children.

They both testified Thursday that the night they took the boy home from the hospital, he told them he did not want to go back to Whitten.

“That was the first time I’ve ever had that happen with a child in our foster care,” said Chad Forth, one of the foster parents.

The couple went on to testify how the boy wore gloves outside all the time and was now hysterically fearful of snow at times.

“He was genuinely afraid he’d fall in the snow and become trapped,” Forth said.

While Whitten told Gull she hoped to someday have a second chance with her son, the judge showed little sympathy toward Whitten’s characterization of her actions as a “mistake.”

“You placed your son in a deadly situation,” Gull said.

“It’s no thanks to you (he’s alive), it’s thanks to these people who cared for him, who cried with him and bandaged him up,” she continued, referring to the foster parents.

Gull sentenced Whitten to six years in prison but suspended two of those years and ordered her to serve two years’ probation after her release.

Whitten, who cried throughout much of the hearing, remained silent while being escorted from the courtroom.

High  °F
Low  °F
81 °F
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search