“We’ve surely got trouble! Right here in River City!”
If we’ve got trouble in River City, that means one thing — “The Music Man” is on at 8 tonight on TCM.
This 1962 classic musical features Robert Preston as con man Harold Hill trying to get the residents to pay for musical instruments so they can form a marching band. Shirley Jones plays Marian the librarian who is on to his scam.
Here is a little quiz about some famous musicals.
1. In the film “The Music Man,” who played little Winthrop Paroo?
2. In “Easter Parade,” which actress played the first dance partner of Fred Astaire before she joined the Ziegfeld Follies?
3. In “Anchors Aweigh,” Gene Kelly dances with which animated character?
4. Who received a Best Actress in a Supporting Role Academy Award nomination for her role in “Singin’ in the Rain?”
5. The song “White Christmas” was first sung on which musical?
6. What is the name of the first feature-length musical film?
7. “West Side Story” received 10 Academy Awards. What was so unusual about the Best Director award?
8. Richard Rodgers had collaborated with which lyricist before teaming with Oscar Hammerstein II?
Answers: 1. Ronny Howard. 2. Ann Miller. 3. Jerry the Mouse. 4. Jean Hagen. 5. “Holiday Inn” (1942). 6. “The Jazz Singer.” 7. This was the first year the directing award was shared by two directors. 8. Lorenz Hart.