A fire involving a natural gas meter on the outside of a house on Fort Wayne’s northeast side caused significant damage Wednesday.
Four people in the home escaped without injuries.
When firefighters arrived about 5:45 p.m. at 7429 Hope Farm Road, near Lahmeyer Road and East State Boulevard, they found heavy flames on the outside of the home at the back of the building, the fire department said.
The fire was already in the basement and second level, in addition to flames spewing from the gas meter.
The fire department was able to put out the flames in the home but had to wait for NIPSCO to shut off the gas supply from the main line at the road before firefighters could tackle the fire at the meter, the department said.