Marked by a bright red sign and the seal of the Fort Wayne/Allen County Department of Health, Saigon Restaurant was closed for business on Monday.
The Vietnamese restaurant, 2006 S. Calhoun St., was the site of a routine inspection during which six live adult cockroaches were found. The health department inspector found them in the basement area, above a chest freezer on a wall juncture, a report states.
In addition, Saigon received four critical violations – three of which were repeat – for improper food storage and labeling and five non-critical violations.
To reopen, the establishment must be treated for cockroaches and all evidence of the pest must be removed. Other opening conditions include sealing all cracks and crevices in the basement walls; cleaning up the basement area; removing standing water; and cleaning grease traps.
Saigon was also closed in October because of cockroaches, according to a food inspection report from the health department.