Text size  Increase text sizeDecrease text size      
Posted on Mon. Jul. 21, 2014 - 12:30 am EDT

Boy mauled, man killed in 2 cases with trains

Donna Niles told the boys time and time again to stay away from the train tracks.

She said to never get near them, that they couldn’t outrun a train if one came barreling down.

She even grounded her grandson for a week when she found him playing under a bridge near the tracks running behind her home in the 3100 block of McDonald Street.

But Sunday, her grandson was running up to her house with tears in his eyes, calling for help.

His friend, a 10-year-old boy, had been hit and his leg had been run over, leaving him hovering between serious and critical conditons.

That accident was the second separate case involving a pedestrian struck by a train over the weekend. The other left a man dead in New Haven on Saturday.

New Haven police got a call at about 10:30 p.m. that a pedestrian had been struck by a train at Main and West streets.

They arrived to find the man dead, according to New Haven Police.

The man and his wheelchair eventually came to rest several yards west of the intersection on the north side of the tracks.

Detective Jeff McCracken of the New Haven Police Department said officers were still working on finding out if the man was stuck on the tracks or was trying to cross them when he was struck.

Although the man was killed by the impact with the train, McCracken said he did not get run over by the train and described the impact as more of a sideswipe.

Statements from the train’s crew to police indicated the cross arms and flashing lights at the intersection were functional at the time of the crash.

The man’s name was being withheld pending family notification.

In Sunday’s case, police were called to the 3100 block of McDonald Street, on the south side of Fort Wayne just off Lumbard Street, at about 5 p.m.

Niles was the first to find the boy after her grandson came running up to the house.

She followed a path the boys had carved through some weeds – bypassing a fence separating the homes in the area from the tracks – to the boy, who was screaming “I’m going to die.”

He had tried to jump onto the train and slipped, Niles told police.

“His leg was hanging on by a little bit,” she said.

Whenever Niles scolded her grandson and his friends about being by the tracks, she said they’d assure her they could get away from the trains in time.

“I told them you can’t get away from those things moving that fast,” she said.

As of Sunday, officials had yet to release the identity of the man killed in New Haven.

An updated condition for the boy was also unavailable.

High 81 °F
Low 65 °F
71 °F
Sponsored by Masters Heating & Cooling, Inc.
Local Search